(Note: this website can be reached via www.PaperCurl.com)
The information on this website is of a technical nature intended for people in the paper making related industries. Often what you are looking for can be more easily obtained with a direct inquiry by using the form at the bottom of the page.
When requesting articles through the website, be sure an email address is entered and is correct. Without an email address, requested articles cannot be delivered. Please email if requested articles are not received.
You can enter comments, below...
Shrinkage is perhaps the most important process effect on the mechanical properties of paper. Recently, Wahlstrom and Fellers showed that tensile stiffness, tensile strength, compressive strength and breaking strain are very closely correlate with sheet shrinkage or wet straining. A most likely explanation is that shrinkage affects micro-compressions, which in turn affects fiber properties, which affect sheet properties. Read more at "Effects of Paper Shrinkage" and "Property Relationships", below.
XEROGRAPHIC (copy) PAPER
Read more at Summary of Xerographic Paper Properties, below.
Paper qualities important in xerographic papers include stiffness, smoothness, electrical resistivity, friction coefficient, curl, moisture, sheet flatness, millwork, porosity and composition. The usual basis weight of xerographic paper is 20 pounds (17" x 22" 500 sheets) or 75 grams/sq. meter. Good manufacturing control should keep weight within 0.5-0.75 pounds of nominal 99% of the time. The choice of a caliper specification depends on factors such as the type of fuser roll used in the copy machine. There may be no single set of paper properties that are optimum for all xerographic machines (including ‘laser’ printers).
Click here if you are having Problems With Paper Curl in a Printer or Copier.
Available electronic articles:
Click below to see descriptions and get access to any of the following articles:
- Loading Curve Variables vs CME (.pdf, 4 pages)
- Effects of Paper Shrinkage (.pdf, 8 pages)
- Property Relationships (.pdf, 5 pages)
- Stiffness Index (.pdf, 5 pages)
- Residual Strain (.pdf, 8 pages)
- Predicting Modulus & Properties (.pdf, 18 pages)
- Residual Strain From Heating (.pdf, 5 pages)
- Accelerating Creep by Heating (.pdf, 6 pages)
- Tensile Loading Tutorial (.pdf, 8 pages)
- Curl From One Sided Drying (.pdf, 4 pages)
- Paper Curl Self-Tutorial (.pdf, 11 pages)
- Curl Basics (.pdf, 5 pages)
- Fundamentals of Paper Curl (.pdf, 18 pages)
- Dimensional Stability (.pdf, 18 pages)
- Aspects of Dimensional Stability (.pdf, 15 pages)
- Measuring Dimensional Stability (.pdf, 2 pages)
- Improving Curl Proposal (.pdf, 20 pages)
- Fuser Curl Mechanisms (.pdf, 8 pages)
- Fuser Curl At Higher Dwell Times (.pdf, 3 pages)
- Curl Terminology (.pdf, 2 pages)
- Hot Bend Curl Test (.pdf, 8 pages)
- Warm Oven Curl Test (.pdf, 2 pages)
- Procedure to Characterize CME (.pdf, 2 pages)
- Curl Tests summarized (.pdf, 3 pages)
- Xerographic Paper Self Tutorial (.pdf, 10 pages)
- Xerographic Paper Properties (.pdf, 4 pages)
- Basis Weight Conversion Factors (.pdf, 1 pages)
- Inkjet Paper Testing (.pdf, 2 pages)
- Static Problems (.pdf, 3 pages)
- Twenty Questions (Copy Paper) (.pdf, 2 pages)
- Imperial Weights and Sizes (.pdf, 3 pages)
- Loose Debris Evaluation Methods (.pdf, 1 pages)
- Curl From One Side Wetting (an overview) (.pdf, 5 pages)
- Twelve Steps to Curl (.pdf, 1 pages)
- Do the Decurl Tango (.pdf, 6 pages)
- Paper Science Notes-Xerographic Paper (.pdf, 81 pages)
- The Seven Steps To Fixing Laser Curl Problems (.pdf, 2 pages)
Click here to see descriptions and get articles emailed to you.
For questions about paper curl, dimensional stability, copy paper or other paper properties use the form at the bottom of the page!
JOIN OUR INFORMAL E-MAIL NETWORK!
A number of us have joined together to form the CURL AND PAPER PHYSICS NETWORK (CPPN). By adding your email address to the list of participants you get periodic updates on new articles added to the library. Please use the form at the bottom of the page to get our updates. Your email request be acknowledged.
Charles (Chuck) Green, retired
Publisher, CPPN Electronic Library
Consulting: Curl, Xerographic Paper, Paper Physics
23 Maryvale Drive, Webster, NY 14580
To contact Charles Green enter here: